If you want to practice as a neurosurgeon in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, you need to clear the licensing examination for Neurosurgery Conducted by Saudi Commission for health specialities.
Neurosurgery Saudi Prometric Exam pattern and duration
The Exam will be conducted in multiple-choice format. There will be 150 multiple-choice questions and the length of the Exam will be 3 hours.
1.Neurovascular 10% 2. Neuro‐oncology 10% 3. Neurotrauma 10% 4. Pediatric Neurosurgery 10% 5. Spine 10% 6. Functional Neurosurgery 7%
7. Peripheral Nerves Surgery 7% 8. General Neurosurgical Principles 10% 9. Neuroanatomy & Neurophysiology 6% 10. Neuropathology/Neuroradiology & Neurology 10% 11. Research & Ethics 5% 12. Patient Safety 5%
The passing score needed for Neurosurgery Saudi Prometric Exam is 70% as per SCFHS.
Books to study
1.Youman’s Neurological Surgery latest edition. Seventh Edition
2. Schmidek and Sweet: Operative Neurosurgical Techniques: 6th Edition
3. Handbook of Neurosurgery by Mark Greenberg: 8th Edition
4. Neuropathology: A Reference Text of CNS Pathology: by David Ellison and Seth. 3rd Edition
5.Barr’s The Human Nervous System by John Kiernan: 10th Edition
6. WHO Classification of Tumors of the Central Nervous System. The International Agency for Research on Cancer. Latest edition. 2016.
7. Rhoton’s Cranial Anatomy and Surgical Approaches by Albert Rhoton. One Edition
8. Professionalism and Ethics, Handbook for Residents, Practical guide, Prof. James Ware, Dr. Abdulaziz Fahad Alkaabba, Dr. Ghaiath MA Hussein, Prof. Omar Hasan Kasule, SCFHS, Latest Edition.
9. Essentials of Patient Safety, SCHS, Latest Edition